In our everchanging world, it’s more important than ever to find our inner peace.
So how can we create more peace in our lives and be the "eye of the hurricane”? Well, the first thing I want to say about this, is that it’s an inside job. Peace is not some illusive thing out there. It dwells within us… within each of us, and all of us. And can be accessed at any moment in time.
I know, sometimes it may seem buried deep, far away and inaccessible, but it is there. I’m going to share with you a number of ways of creating more peace in your life. Some are quick and simple, and others are deeper and thought provoking. Some of these strategies/tools you can do anytime, anywhere depending on your level of comfort.
I feel I could write an article on each of these points. But for the purpose of simplicity, I will be brief. Certainly, some of the techniques you may already know. The ultimate purpose of these methods is to come back to you, come back to your body, and notice what is going on with you. What is your body feeling? What does your body need to be at peace?
- Tune into your breathing and connect with your breath, breathing deeply into your whole body. And keep doing so until you can feel your body relaxing… What does your body need? More rest, more water, a cup of tea? Maybe a walk in the forest, or a cleansing aromatherapy bath? When we listen to our bodies and nurture ourselves, we come back to ourselves. We are more ourSELVES.
- Close your eyes and move your attention deep into the centre of your head… all the while, connecting with your breath. And just sit deeply in the centre of your head and find your stillness. If you have trouble finding the centre of your head, then move your attention down into the centre of your heart and sit in the quietness of your heart. Letting all your concerns evaporate with each breath…
- Create a grounding cord at the base of your spine and see that grounding cord flow down to the centre of the planet. And notice how much your body loves feeling more grounded. And let any of your stresses or concerns just flow down your grounding, and release, release… until you feel lighter…
- Hold your favourite crystal, or wear a piece of calming gemstone jewellery. All the while tuning into the energy of the stone… breathing, listening, notice what you notice… and go within… and go deeper…
- Connect with your Higher Power, or whatever word resonates for you. Possibly Supreme Being, God, Goddess, Allah, the Creator, Father, the Divine, Spirit. The point is we can sometimes only do what we can do, and then it’s time to turn it over to a power greater than ourselves. “Let go and let God”.
- Gratitude is one of the quickest ways to move to a more peaceful and resourceful state of being.
- Who can we forgive? Quite often we are at the top of this list. We’re so hard on ourselves. And as hard as we may be on other people, we are harder on ourselves. So, can we let ourselves off the hook? We’re doing our best, and to err is human. Can we forgive ourselves? We make mistakes, we’re not perfect. As a matter of fact, we’re perfectly imperfect… and this is each of ours unique journey on earth… to love ourselves… completely…with all our strengths and all our weaknesses.
And it may not be that easy, but it is that simple. I forgive myself. Period. Having said that, it is usually helpful to invite our Higher Power in to support us with this process. When we do this, we let go of dense energy that is quite often weighing us down. We lighten up! There is more room for us to be our authentic selves, which is love and peace… our birthright.
And just like a tiny pebble tossed into a pond, when we love ourselves more, and experience greater peace, that love and peace ripples out into the rest of our world… creating more peace on earth.
In love and peace,
“The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” Marianne Williamson
**To explore these tools and more, join our Meditation Classes starting in the New Year!